Supreme Court Addresses Gay Marriage Rights

Over the past many years the nation has been debating about the rights of gay marriage. On March 26 the Supreme Court was considering the idea of overturning the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) signed by former President Bill Clinton. DOMA defines marriage between a man and a woman. It also prevents gay couples from receiving government marriage benefits such as Social Security benefits and lowering taxes on windows on heterosexual couples.

At a very fast rate people have been posting a red “=” on social media sites to show the Supreme Court that many people support the equality of marriages. Many students also have recently been spreading this sign as well as the red equal sign with a slash through it to show that there are still people who oppose the idea.

Sophomore Julia Davis is a member of those who support gay marriage.

“I think it’s silly that we even have to debate the topic of marriage and how it’s defined,” Davis said. “Any couple that loves each other should be able to marry one another and I hope that the Supreme Court realizes that.”

Sophomore Austin Smith is one of many who do not support the idea.

“It says many places in the Bible that say a man should not sleep with another man, and that marriage is between a man and a woman,” Smith said. “I personally believe that because of what has been said in the Bible that it is a choice and we should not let that sin into our nation. I disagree with it, however if they they should not be allowed to step out like that.”

As of now Supreme Court will not make a decision until another couple months.