Before the World Ends… TV Show Edition

It seems like, nowadays, everyone can have a reality show: whether you bake cakes, or live in a swamp or have 19 kids and counting, you deserve a spot on primetime TV. For this reason, it is hard to find quality programming that won’t leave you disappointed and laying on the couch like a zombie. Before the world implodes this week, check out a few episodes of these shows to make the last week of TV worthwhile.

Breaking Bad
This show makes a relevant conflict through a family stricken with cancer that connects into the underworld of drugs and methamphetamines. The show is tension-personified and creates a sense of fear through nothing more than vivid characters and well-realized threats.

The Wire
This show succeeds in its attempt to portray the city of Baltimore in its entirety. In undertaking such a large project, it succeeds where others have failed through its masterful storytelling and impeccable acting. From the drug dealers, to the police force, to the highest politicians, it examines the city of Baltimore with scope and detail unseen in any show before or after it.

Arrested Development
This is the comedy to end all American comedies. To say this show was cancelled too soon is like saying Ghandi passed away too soon. This is a show that is, purely and simply, a legend.

Blackadder
Hugh Laurie, Rowan Atkinson and Stephen Fry make Blackadder one of the most memorable British comedies. Its humor is timeless, and even the laugh track doesn’t bother you after a while. It is one of the best things you can do with your time.

Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace
This show is nothing more than making fun of every 80s show to exist, but it somehow manages to be better than parody shows in its absurdity. From Skipper the Eyechild to the Scotch Mist, this show has a vendetta against the concept of reason.