School of Rock

Senior Summer Foth is the lead singer in the House Band of the Kansas City School of Rock.

“Performing is terrifying at first, but then you get out there and you have fun,” senior Summer Foth said. “Suddenly all the nervousness disappeared. It’s really great if you get a positive reaction from the , and it keeps you going.”

Foth is a student at the Kansas City School of Rock, located in Parkville, Mo. The school has a variety of students, and functions like a regular school in some aspects. While the school has semesters, it is different from a normal public school because it has two during the school year and one during the summer.

When entering the school, each student must participate in a “band.” They have four bands with approximately 15-20 students in each. Foth is in the House Band, which features a select group of musically talented students. If a student is involved with the school’s house band, they are required to attend all three semesters.

“It’s an audition process,” Foth said. “You have to be at least 14 to get into the House Band. They select you based on a written test, a musical theory test and a live audition.”

The House Band practices twice a week for two hours, while the semester bands typically practice four and a half hours.

“For the standard semester band, we have three-and-a-half months to rehearse before a show, but for the House Band its a lot quicker,” Foth said. “You get in, you are given your list of songs and your first performance might be two weeks from then. You have to learn it by then; it’s all very different.”

After the House Band has rehearsed, they perform in various venues, including the Beaumont Club and Starlight Theater.

“We have performed in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland,” Foth said. “We do lots of things like that.”

Foth has been singing at the School of Rock for four years and has been in the House Band for two.

” the community of it and actually performing,” Foth said. “With the House Band, you and your band mates become very close; you become best friends. Also the satisfaction of getting up on stage and performing and doing a really good job is also really enjoyable.”

Foth enjoys singing with the Houseband, however, once she turns 18, she officially graduates from the School of Rock.
“I’m really sad that I’m going to be leaving the school,” Foth said. “It has taught me so much about myself and about music. It was like a second home to me. Even though I’ll miss it, I’m excited to go to college and start my life as an artist.”