The Big Biscuit

Crammed into a corner near Ace Hardware on Shawnee Mission Parkway, the Big Biscuit serves up breakfast food galore. Their menu boasts several biscuit platters, eggs any way you could want them, nine different omelets, five kinds of scrambles, ten varieties of pancakes, four versions of French toast and seven types of waffles.

This place has all the home-style country comforts — booths made for spacious seating, a comfortable cream and brown decor and walls filled with classic Shawnee memorabilia. The beige walls were occupied by vintage photos of, not only Shawnee, but Johnson County as well.

Photo by Aaron Messick

The food compliments the small-town atmosphere very well, and it is simply fantastic. If you’re a breakfast lover like me, you will want to check this place out. I ordered what’s known as the ‘Big Breakfast,’ which includes two large pancakes, two eggs, two strips of bacon, two sausage patties and a choice of breakfast potatoes or hash browns. The breakfast potatoes were magnificent, bite-sized french fries seasoned to perfection with Lawry’s salt. I also sampled the classic biscuits and gravy. The biscuits lived up to the hype: large, light and flaky. The sausage gravy was wonderfully smooth, almost velvety and wasn’t too peppery. It was one of the best biscuit and gravy combinations that I have ever eaten.

The service only adds to the already wonderful experience. The staff was quick, friendly and attentive, but didn’t linger. Our server knew the right balance of service and letting me enjoy my meal, which isn’t an easy thing to master.

The prices are more than reasonable, and the portions are substantial. Mixed with great service and fantastic food, The Big Biscuit is my new favorite place to sit down and enjoy a nice breakfast. I’ll be heading back very soon.

Hours:
Mon-Sun: 6:30 a.m. — 2:30 p.m.

5/5 stars