Throwback: Remembering Jeff Buckley

Preview Buckley’s live album at iTunes.

Yesterday marked the 45th birthday of Jeff Buckley. Maybe you have heard of the ‘90s singer and songwriter. Chances are you haven’t.

Buckley died in 1997 as a result of an strange accident. He drowned in the Wolf River while singing Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love”, as the wake of a tug boat took him under.

His death was a tragedy in the music industry. Buckley was known for his powerful, Robert Plant-like voice. His talents also extended to guitar, which was also inspired by bands like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

Buckley had only recorded one studio album, Grace, and he didn’t receive large commercial success in life. After his death, though, his fan base grew rapidly. His cover of the song “Hallelujah” soared on the charts all over the world.

Rolling Stone Magazine gave him a position in three of their “Top” lists. They ranked him No. 39 out of the 100 best singers of all times.

His album Grace was named the 303rd best album of all time, and his cover of “Hallelujah” was named the 259th greatest song of all time. That’s not bad for a guy who died when he was 31 and only recorded one full album. These awards just prove how important Buckley still is.

Jeff Buckley might be dead, but his music isn’t. Many live recordings have been released posthumous, and multiple documentaries have tried to shed light on the mysterious musician.

Unlike many other artists who died at a young age, Buckley went out silently. He didn’t overdose or drink himself to death. He didn’t focus on his image. Jeff Buckley focused on his music. He should be remembered for the same reason.
So the next time you’re on iTunes, look into buying his music. My recommendation would be his Live at Sin-e`(Legacy Addition) album. It was recorded over two days in a cafe in New York, and it displays not only his musical talent but his goofy personality.