Review: American Horror Story

The haunting began Oct. 5 when American Horror Story premiered. Dylan McDermott (The Messengers, The Practice) plays an unfaithful psychologist on this outstanding new FX series.

The show is about a family that has moved to a haunted house in Los Angeles to escape the husband’s infidelity back in Boston. The show is rated TV-MA SLV (may be inappropriate for audiences under 17 due to sex, language and violence).

The first three episodes, which are all that have aired as of Oct 25, have been great. Filmed in high definition, the show is more spooky than it would be if filmed traditionally. Although I don’t personally believe in ghosts, the highly credible story line has me looking for ghosts everywhere.

The only thing that I don’t like about the show is that the stories explaining why it is haunted are interesting, but fail to provide enough information about the family or the house, or what causes it to be haunted.

It is hard to tell if people are ghosts, possessed or normal and this confusion keeps the viewer guessing, interested, scared.

The first three episodes are full of twists. Although the family appears to be the perfect American family: husband, wife, child and dog, the more the viewer learns about them, the less normal and the more disturbing they are.

I enjoyed watching the show, even though I don’t like scary movies because although it doesn’t really terrify me, some images stay with me long after I turn the TV off. For example, the theme song of the show is creepy, with images of the downstairs lab and quiet moments broken by a loud fog horn. Overall, it is creepy, but not scary.

This fall’s television line-up doesn’t have a scarier show than American Horror Story.

View Comments (3)