Big Bang Theory

The most awkwardly nerdy friends are back on the air.

The Big Bang Theory aired the premiere of its fifth season on CBS Sep. 22. I recently started watching the show, and it’s easy to pick up on.

The humor seems dry, but it keeps me laughing. Mostly, this humor comes from the socially awkward main characters. The show stars a group of lovable nerds who all, but one, have doctorate degrees. They often ridicule the one without his.

The group’s “leader,” so to speak, is Dr. Sheldon Cooper, portrayed by Jim Parsons. Parsons is the perfect fit for the role, as his appearance matches his character’s awkwardness. Cooper is germaphobic, agoraphobic with at least ten other completely irrational phobias
The supporting characters are all of his friends and colleagues. The supporting actors and actresses aren’t quite as interesting as Sheldon but still have their quirks. The group dynamic is great and makes the show extremely hilarious.

Each week the show has an interesting title, like “The Killer Robot Instability” or “The Wildebeest Implementation,” which usually has something to do in the episode.

The new season starts out with one of the supporting characters, Penny, played by Kaley Cuoco, thinking about moving back to her home in Nebraska because she hasn’t been able to get an acting job in two years. She is not the classiest person, but she is still lovable because the things she says that are not necessarily the smartest make her funny.

The Big Bang Theory, airing Thursdays at 7 p.m., is one of the best shows on TV currently, and since the season just started, there is not much catching up needed.

5/5 atoms