Hy-Vee Team of the Week

Photo by Abigail Roberts

The girls’ basketball team was named the Fox 4 HyVee Team of the Week after winning the Mid America Classic tournament last weekend in McPherson, Kansas.

“It means a lot in regard to how hard our girls have worked,” head coach Tyler Stewart said. “Also, how well they’ve bought in in order to keep our culture alive.”

Last weekend, the team beat the undefeated McPherson Bulldogs, 42-37. The first round matchup against Wichita Northeast ended in a 38-25 Cougar win. This led up to the final game against league rival Olathe East.

“There was a ton of adrenaline from the moment of the tip off until the last buzzer,” senior captain Brenni Rose said. “I never felt like the game was over, even with our lead, because I know what they’re capable of. When that last buzzer did go off, I was so happy.”

The fate of the championship against Sunflower League rival Olathe East came down to two free-throws in overtime and a final score of 33-31.

“When I saw the ball go through the net,” junior Emmalee Rose said. “A huge weight lifted off of my shoulders and I couldn’t wait to hear that final buzzer to celebrate with my teammates.”

The achievement of being named Team of the Week has aided a team that had little confidence at the beginning of the season. This tournament win has put the Lady Cougars in a prime position to excel in the postseason.

“The tournament has really boosted our confidence,” Emmalee Rose said. “We had two really tough losses to some pretty good teams these past weeks and, ever since, I really think it’s gotten to our heads. But now I think we’ve realized what we’re capable of and winning this championship is not the end. Like Coach Stew always says, ‘We have bigger fish to fry.’”