Make a New Year’s Resolution

Were you among the eight percent who kept your 2015 New Year’s resolution?

Probably not.

It’s easy to make a resolution, but difficult to keep. After about six months, over half of those making a resolution will have failed.

Most people fail because they set unrealistic goals.Instead, try try a small goal that can help in the long run like “increase the number of homework assignments I turn in each week.” This goal is both measurable (you can easily determine who you are turning in more homework) and reasonable. By not setting a goal of perfection, i.e. turn in all of my homework, you are less likely to fail early on and give up.

If you propose a lifestyle change, make sure it is one you are really willing to make.

For example, let’s say you have a resolution to lose 100 pounds by the end of the year.  You might do well until February, then you decide to go out for dinner. That’s okay, but then you go out for a couple of days in the month, then a couple of times each week and by the time you are a few months into the new year, you find yourself going to go get a burger from a fast food restaurant every evening.

Realize that if you want a change to happen, you need to be willing to put in the work.  That  won’t happen instantly.

Take the survey below to see how your answers stack up against the rest of the student body. After each answer, you will be able to see how you compare .

[polldaddy poll=9237058]

[polldaddy poll=9237121]

[polldaddy poll=9237129]

[polldaddy poll=9237146]

[polldaddy poll=9237197]

[polldaddy poll=9237214]