Baseball Aims for State

Going into this baseball season, eight letterman have returned to the varsity team.

“I’m expecting a good season,” Mussat said. “With that many returning letterman, I’m expecting to do well.”

Last year, the baseball team did not make it to the state tournament, finishing their season with an 8-8 overall record.

“I’d like to at least go to state.,” Mussat said. “With the talent we’ve got, we should be pretty good.”

Returning players include seniors Nathan Reeder, Casey Kelley, Brett Ferencz and juniors Garrett Stephens and junior Brandon Gomer.

Mussat sees Gomer as the player most key to the team’s success.

“Our pitcher is going to have to be our horse this year,” Mussat said. “He’s going to have run it.”

Although it is Mussat’s first season as head coach after 18 years as junior varsity baseball coach, the team has adjusted to former coach Rich Kuzydym’s retirement.

“ is trying to be more actively involved in the workouts which could easily transfer over to a new dynamic in the season,” returning letterman Casey Kelley said.

Baseball tryouts were held March 2 at the start of the spring sports season. Although approximately 40 boys showed up for junior varsity and varsity tryouts, only about 20 freshman competed for spots on the freshman team.

“It went a lot faster than we thought,” head baseball coach Domenic Mussat said. “Not as many guys as we were expecting came out. It went pretty smooth.”