Orchestra director Jeffrey Bishop releases second novel

Orchestra director, Jeffrey Bishop, released his first book of a nine-book series, Bartemus Ammblin in the Old Forest, on Oct 19, 2011. In 2001, Bishop started writing the novels, and as of now four of the nine are finished, and the second book, Bartemus Ammblin on the Back of the Giants, is set to release in December 2012 or January 2013.

The main character, Bartemus, is a rabbit who is “a very shy middle school kid just trying to figure out his role in the world,”  according to Bishop.

“All of the characters are animals the book takes place before humans come into existence,” Bishop said.

Bartemus has two best friends — Willoughby, who is a wolverine, and Wynstan, who is an owl — that he relies on to help figure out how and why the mysterious barrel of salted meat ended up in the Hollow.

Bishop describes Bartemus as a “wholesome person.”

“That is how I wish people would treat each other, nicely,” Bishop said.

Bishop said he is proud of book because it has received a rating of 5 stars on Amazon, and copies are available in the SMNW library. He is even being recognized for his work in classes around the KC area. Bishop also had a book signing at Shawnee Books and Toys on Saturday, Dec. 15 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.

“Aubrey Kennedy is a middle school teacher in Kansas City, Kan., and she is using it in her classes,” Bishop said.

Several of Bishop’s students as well as some faculty members have started reading the book. He expects some interesting reactions from his readers.

“I think will be surprised if they know me personally,” Bishop said.